Experienced Tax Senior - Tax Manager
6201 Oak Canyon, Suite 200 Irvine, CA 92618
Experienced Tax Senior - Tax Manager
The Senior Tax Associate is responsible for performing complex tax preparation, tax research, and tax planning with minimal supervision. This position also provides work direction and technical guidance to less experienced team members. The Senior Associate will have direct contact with clients to resolve minor tax matters and coordinate tax compliance. Team members in this role are in charge of tax compliance and perform tax planning under direct supervision.
• Master core competencies for level of experience.
• Maintain accurate project information.
• Prepare complex tax returns.
• Review tax compliance work of associate-level team members.
• Perform tax research.
• Review tax information supplied by client; may meet with or call client with questions as directed by engagement team manager / partner.
• Recognize, anticipate, and resolve tax issues; make recommendations.
• Assist in federal and state audits.
• Market firm services to existing and prospective clients.
• Train, mentor and provide work direction to tax associates
• Meet productivity and efficiency standards (billable hours and recovery).
TECHNICAL SKILL DEVELOPMENT / REQUIREMENTS
• Stay current on changes within the profession and business environment.
• Demonstrate mastery of tax research and documentation methodologies.
• Maintain required level of technical knowledge.
• Demonstrate ability to apply new technical concepts to current client assignments.
• Analytical – Synthesize complex and diverse information; collect and research data; able to use intuition and experience to complement and explain data; designs work flows and procedures.
• Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses objective reasoning even when dealing with emotional topics.
• Technical skills – able to assess own strengths and weaknesses; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
• Judgment – Displays willingness to make decisions; exhibits sound and accurate judgment; supports and explains reasoning for decision; includes appropriate people in decision-making process; makes timely decisions.
• Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
• Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
• Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
• Initiative – Volunteers readily; undertakes self-development activities; seeks increased responsibilities; takes independent actions and calculated risks; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; asks for and offers help when needed.
• Dedicated to providing personalized attention and service.
• Proactive and strategic solution provider.
• Relationship builder.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Individuals at this level generally have a Bachelors degree in accounting or related field and three or more years of experience in federal and state income tax preparation.
In addition, the successfull candidate will have:
• A Bachelor’ s degree in accounting or business related field, must have completed credits / coursework as outlined by California Board of Accountancy’ s requirements for licensure.
• CPA certification or actively pursuing certification.
• Three or more years of tax experience with at least one year of mid-level compliance work.
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures and government regulations.
• Ability to compose reports and business correspondence.
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from colleagues and clients when necessary.
ADDITIONAL ELIGIBILITY QUALIFICATIONS
None required for this position.
Please note this job description is not intended be a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
USE OF EQUIPMENT
Includes, but is not limited to: computer, standard office software, specific accounting software, scanner, and various technology and equipment.
POSITION INTERACTS WITH
The Senior Tax Associate will have daily contact with Tax Associates, Tax Managers, other members of the professional and administrative staff, and Partners. Direct interaction with clients will be required on a regular basis.
Courtesy and respect toward clients and members of the team are expected and required at all times.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION
The key physical requirements of this position include the ability to travel from time to time; lift up to 30 pounds; use of standard office equipment, including personal computers; and movement within a standard office, sometimes with stairs.
WORKING CONDITIONS / TRAVEL
Typical workweek is 40-50 hours. Position requires additional hours when necessary to complete special projects and various engagements. Position also requires additional work hours during busy season. Tax busy seasons are typically February 15 to April 15 and August 15 to October 15.
Travel is minimal and is usually restricted to same day with overnight requirements very infrequently. This is a full time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8: 00 a.m. to 5: 00 p.m.
Some flexibility in hours is available. All Employees must be available during Firm’ s primary operating hours of 8: 30 a.m. to 4: 30 p.m. and must work 40.0 hours each week to maintain full time status.
ADHERENCE TO FIRM POLICIES
Employees are expected to adhere to the Firm’ s policies and procedures at all times.