Senior Financial / Cost Analyst
Honolulu, HI 96813
Senior Financial / Cost Analyst
Responsible for the finance, accounting, cost, operating expense budgets & business mgmt functions for facility operations & real estate functions. NFS finance/cost activities include data collection, reconciling expenditures against commitment, updating & ensuring data accuracy in project tracking system, financial analyses & cost forecasting, facility & capital project team' s operating expense budgets; developing & implementing project financial standards & procedures; reviewing the project work breakdown structure, ensuring cost forecasts are consistent w/ established & documented project control basis (scope, work plan, schedule); analysis & reporting project cost variances, maintaining & reporting project cost forecast in accordance w/ work breakdown structure, tracking project cost movement, & providing progress reports; providing project cost forecast input to region capital planning process; submitting qualifying documents to Property Accounting dept for capitalization, verification of available budget for commitment, verification of DOA for commitment & expenditures, & providing financial & accounting support for acquisition, disposition & maintenance of land & facilities.
• Primary focus for the senior level is to lead a team or NFS function performing the day to day NFS Finance & Accounting activities
• Reviews project financial data input to the project mgmt/accounting systems for accuracy & compliance to policy
• Coordinates project accounting information (opening, completion potential impairments etc.) w/ Regional Property Accounting
• Develops budgets, forecasts, analyzes, & monitors operating costs & expense budgets
• Leads and/or coordinates the analysis & review of cash forecasting reporting, in conjunction w/ the NFS Mgmt & Regional Planning depts
• Reviews financial aspects of contracts & pay applications/invoices
• Identifies & analyzes activities (project capitalization, impairments, etc.) that may impact regional financial results & effectively communicates them to the financial leads region
• Prepares and/or reviews key mgmt cost reports, i.e. Main Loan Fund Mgmt Accountability Report (MMAR)
• Identifies & manages cost trend data & schedule impacts & brings to attention of Project Manager & NFS Team
• Resolves invoicing issues w/ vendors, contractors & professional services providers. Support negotiations as compliant to requirements
• Prepares accruals & journal entries for month end close on operating costs; researches unusual variances during month end close
• Works on assignments of diverse & complex scope
• Interprets less defined guidelines to make recommendations for process improvements and/or enhancements
• Requires complex planning to coordinate w/ other depts or resources
• Responsibilities impact the achievement of key functional, NFS, and/or objectives that have direct & significant business impact
• Contributes to the achievement of the dept' s objectives
• Erroneous decisions or recommendations could result in the inability to reach functional & NFS objectives & negatively affect expenditures & resources
• Involves interpreting & analyzing established concepts & trends
• Exercises considerable judgment to make decisions for less defined & complex issues
• Requires complex decision-making
• Develops solutions to a diverse range of complex problems, which require creativity & innovation w/in broadly defined policies & practices
• Assume other duties as directed
• Minimum six (6) years of financial or project controls experience including two (2) years in architectural, design, contracting, and project management or construction environment.
• Bachelor' s degree in accounting, finance, business or construction management discipline, OR four (4) years of experience in a directly related field.
• High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
• Understanding of the accounting for construction work in progress and the capitalization requirements of generally accepted accounting principles.
• Strong analytical and systems skills to include proficiency in PC based applications (Excel and Access including advanced functions such as graphics, pivot tables, macros and database management.
• Understanding of accounting for leases (specific to Facility, Clinical Technology or Real Estate operations).
• Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
• Minimum two (2) years in a lead financial analysis and/or accounting role preferred.
• MBA preferred.
• Certified Management Accountant (CMA) or CPA preferred.