VP Tax - Canada Product Tax
Toronto, Ontario M5H 2N2
VP Tax, Product Tax
Overall responsibilities of VP, Taxation:
Assisting Director, Taxation in providing tax compliance and advisory services related to Funds and Corporate, including the following: Product Tax
Responsible for management and oversight of external service providers with respect to tax services provided including year-end distribution and tax reporting
- Review of mock and final distribution calculations prepared by fund administrators
- Ensure minimum distribution requirements are met and properly reported to unit holders
- Review year-end tax reporting including T3 summary and slips, CDS factors, PFIC statements etc.
- Review and file of tax returns (T3, GST/HST etc.) and ensure compliance with tax laws and regulations applicable to the funds, fund investments and fund shareholders
- Assist the director in establishing tax policies and procedures and managing implementation/compliance by tax service providers
- Provide tax assistance with respect to issuance of financial statements and respond to external auditor’ s tax related queries
- Respond to tax inquiries from investors and business partners and provide information required for web site posting and portfolio management
- Act as a contact person with tax authorities including dealing with notice of assessments and audit related matters
- Provide lead support on FATCA/CRS for both project implementation and BAU for Canadian business/funds including providing tax documentation;
- Provide support to Marketing and Business/Sales team related to tax contents, tax related inquiries and client communication.
- Review tax-related disclosures in fund prospectus, offering documents, and marketing materials etc.
- Provide tax support as required to Legal team in drafting IMAs.
- Analyze tax impact of proposed product changes and initiatives, including mergers, liquidations and fund “ repurposings”
- Keep abreast of new and developing tax law and analyze the implications to fund, fund investments and fund shareholders and timely communicate such developments to the business and other interested stakeholders.
- Special projects as arise from time to time
- Review GST/HST/QST tax returns and co-ordinate with business partners in gathering related information required and provide guidance to business in applying appropriate GST/HST/QST rates
- Act as a contact person with the Federal, Provincial and State tax authorities including dealing with notice of assessments and audit related inquiries
Assist with respect to the following functions as requested:
- Review monthly and quarterly income tax provisions
- Coordinate the preparation of the Canadian information return with respect to payments to non-residents
- Coordinate the preparation of the Canadian income tax return and related reports
- Perform research, analysis and planning on federal and provincial tax issues
- Assist in corporate restructuring initiatives as they arise
- Explore and make recommendations regarding tax savings opportunities
- Communicate directly, both verbally and in writing, with other areas of the company regarding tax issues and tax related projects
- Stay abreast of upcoming changes to tax legislation and tax related issues that could impact the Company
Position qualification requirements
- University degree with accounting designation, CA or Mtax preferred; CICA in-depth tax courses I and II is an asset.
- 3 years+ of investment fund related tax experience in a major accounting firm and/or industry.
- Advanced knowledge and application skills in Microsoft Excel and Microsoft word and proficiency in other MS office software knowledge (e.g. outlook, powerpoint)
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, including ability to analyze tax issues.
- Strong communication, team work and relationship building skills.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Must be able to work effectively in a demanding, fast-paced and complex environment, handling multiple tasks and projects concurrently and resolving issues that cut across the organization, while maintaining highest standards and attention to detail.