Director of Finance and Operations
16 Maiden Lane, Ste 300 San Francisco, CA 94108 US
Director of Finance and Operations
Who we are:
We invest in Automation for the Real Economy: companies that enable old-school industries to adopt modern software and tech enabled processes so they can be more efficient and increase the human potential of their employees and customers. We have grown quickly since inception and now manages ~$760M in AUM across three funds—two early-stage venture funds and one late-stage growth fund. We are in the process of raising our third early-stage fund and second late-stage fund which will bring our AUM above $1.5B.
We have assembled a top tier team that is creating a differentiated research process to deploy this capital. Our returns for Fund I are top decile and Fund II is off to a similarly impressive start. Our LP base consists entirely of Endowments, Foundations, Family Offices, Sovereign Wealth Funds, and top tier Funds of Funds.
One of our primary goals is to create new lines of business and scale into the leading diversified investing platform focused on technology. We are launching a public strategy, private equity strategy, and ESG fund in the next 18-24 months and our goal is to manage $10B within the next five years.
What we need:
In order to continue on this rapid growth trajectory, we are hiring a Director of Finance &
Operations who will work directly under the COO / CFO to help lead the execution of all deal execution, finance, accounting, operations, and back-office functions of the firm. This role provides a very rare opportunity to become only one of two finance and operations professionals at a rapidly growing and very lean asset management firm quickly establishing itself as one of the leading emerging venture capital managers. This is a critical role and will put the candidate on a quick CFO path either here or another firm. It also provides a good path to become a CFO or COO at one of our portfolio companies if that is something the candidate would ultimately be interested in.
We operate much like a startup and each team member has a wide scope of responsibilities and contributions. You will have many responsibilities, but a few to highlight include:
- Directly oversee all of the financial operations of the firm.
- Our firm outsources all accounting work to third party firms. We have a fund administrator for our funds and an accounting firm for the GP entities and management company. You will oversee each of these accountants on a daily basis on things like: capital calls, paying management fees, cash reconciliation, and bill pay.
- You will also: maintain company financial model at the management level, oversee the annual audits, maintain the Schedule of Investments for each fund, and work with our fund administrator to ensure accurate quarterly financial statements.
- Support the COO on investment execution, including:
- Term sheet negotiation and execution, working with our legal counsel on deal documentation, negotiating key deal terms with founders, getting wire information from the company and sending wires upon deal close.
- Support the COO on day-to-day operational activities
- Tax optimization
- We also want this person to lead the firm's tax optimization strategy. We have underperformed when it comes to pursuing a strategy to create more tax efficiencies for the company and its partners. The Director of Finance and Operations will work with third party tax advisors to create and implement a tax efficiency strategy.