Toronto, ON M5H 2N2 US
- The Manager, Management Reporting will lead a team of finance professionals to support the month-end, quarter-end and year-end management reporting process including external reports and attestation to the validity of the results.
- The role is accountable to collaborate with others internally and externally (e.g. Finance end-users, other departments in the Chief Accountant’s Group, Corporate Treasury, Capital Markets Finance and Technology & Operations) to resolve issues that cut across functional lines and provide solutions ensuring timely, accurate, efficient and effective service delivery. This includes reviewing and/or personally performing some service delivery, processing activities that are highly complex in nature.
- The role ensures proper processes are in place to effectively execute activities in line with accounting and regulatory, enterprise, and Finance standards as well as the Bank’s governance policies. The Manager, Finance will liaise with all levels of management in various areas of the bank and provides management, coaching and development to team members.
- Provide managerial leadership to employees, which includes assigning tasks and work, holding regular two-way meetings, setting context, conducting performance evaluations, mentoring, and coaching in order to create and maintain a high-performing team.
- Develop and implement training and development plans for employees to ensure employees receive developmental opportunities and the group has the required level of skills and knowledge.
- Establish and maintain a culture and work environment that attracts, retains, and motivates the highest calibre of skilled employees.
- Display and encourage appropriate high performance behaviours to ensure behaviours in the group are congruent.
- Maintain strong relationships with the Managers and Sr. Managers in Finance (i.e., CAG, Groups, and Corporate), T&O and LOBs to manage and execute the reporting/accounting needs in support of their objectives.
- Understand clients’ immediate reporting needs and assist the LOBs and Groups, when called upon, in the development of strategies they can implement to achieve their goals.
- When called upon, work in partnership with LOB and other corporate service areas to assist in optimal structuring and execution of new initiatives and strategies from an accounting, risk and regulatory perspective. Ensure that structures comply with accounting and regulatory rules and guidelines.
- Liaise with internal auditors, external auditors and regulators to provide necessary information on arising issues and ensure queries are responded to.
- Provide advice and technical expertise, within the scope of assigned tasks, to CAG colleagues, partners/clients, and enterprise initiatives, as required.
- Manage and control possible client issues and conflicts to ensure resolution or escalate as necessary.
CAG Reporting Service Delivery
- Manage and execute timely, accurate, and efficient service delivery in support of ongoing, daily, month-end, quarter-end, and year-end CAG processes in accordance with appropriate principles and standards.
- Execute and coordinate formal segregation of duties between preparation and review of highly complex reporting and month end activities. Includes personally reviewing and/or approving certain items as required.
- Manage the preparation of the Flash Sheet, Supplementary Package and Performance Analysis within timetable set by larger reporting group.
- Functional Expertise, Advisory & Innovation
- Oversee and approve input, analysis, and recommendations for the continuous improvement of processes and procedures with the scope of the work team and participate in the planning and implementation of projects.
- Develop and maintain expertise in the team for technical knowledge related to management reporting systems. Keep abreast of related emerging trends and changes.
- Recommend and implement continuous improvement and change initiatives on an ongoing basis to operational methods and workflows within the Chief Accountant’s Group.
- Implement change management plans to execute continuous improvement and other initiatives in support of strategy.
- Foster an environment of continuous improvement of controllership processes and procedures and encourage all employees on the team to identify process improvements/new ideas and adopt best practices.
Risk Management & Control
- Recommend and develop standards and processes to ensure consistency in financial entries and reporting where possible.
- Be knowledgeable of changing requirements for accounting/regulatory/ risk and manage the changes into the groups and into work processes.
- Monitor, review and report on the operation and effectiveness of accounting controls.
- Maintain a current knowledge of accounting, regulatory requirements and escalate the potential reporting/accounting/operational impacts and associated accounting issues
- Provide support to internal audits, external audits, and regulatory audits by ensuring documentation and information is provided or queries are responded to by the appropriate staff in a timely manner.
- Monitor operations collateral management limits and netting of derivatives for capital off-set
Knowledge & Skills Knowledge:
- Post-secondary education in Finance, Accounting, or related discipline.
- Attained or actively pursuing an accounting designation preferred.
- Minimum 5 - 7 years of relevant experience in the Banking or financial industry.
- Advanced knowledge in application of accounting concepts pertinent to Chief Accountant’s Group.
- Advanced knowledge in the use of financial software applications, databases, spreadsheets (such as Microsoft Excel) and/or word processing is required.
- Knowledge of Financial Group structure and financial information systems is desirable.
- Advanced understanding of the group’s risk and regulatory requirements is required.
- In-depth knowledge of the systems and reporting requirements of all financial products in which the Bank transacts.
- Excellent operational and analytical background.
- Strong ability to evaluate processes, identify potential problems and recommend feasible solutions.
- Strong ability to communicate and network with others to convey information effectively at senior management level.
- Ability to deliver in an environment with competing priorities
- Excellent analytical skills; the ability to discern large amounts of data and focus on the critical business issues.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Respect for highly confidential information.
- Ability to work under pressure and tight timeframes.
- Ability to build a collaborative, team environment.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently multi-task.