VP Investment Accounting - Real Estate
New York, NY 10002 US
Team Overview We are looking to add a senior controller to our growing Alternative Operations team in New York which oversees the accounting, reporting and administration for various closed-end and hybrid alternative investment products. The team interacts with 3rd party service providers and internal groups such as portfolio management, operations, legal and compliance and product tax to ensure the funds’ financial activities are properly recorded. This particular role will have a major focus on the integration of our U.S. Real Estate business (both debt and equity) into a strong and consistent operating model within Alternative Business Operations. Role Responsibilities
- Oversee external administration, accounting and financial reporting for assigned group of funds;
- Review NAV accounting packages prepared by the external administrators for accuracy and completeness as part of the periodic NAV close process for the funds;
- Ensure periodic fund NAV, investor reporting, regulatory reporting, and financial reporting deliverable deadlines are met;
- Consistently perform risk assessments and proactively drive improvements in internal control environment and procedures both internally and at 3rd party service provider;
- Review investor allocations, as well as management fee and distribution/waterfall calculations for funds;
- Provide oversight of year-end audits performed by independent accountants in conjunction with external administrator involvement;
- Research, interpret, document and implement new accounting releases that affect the funds;
- Assist with review and approval of fund operating expenses;
- Assist with data aggregation and calculations for regulatory filings;
- Work with external administrator, internal team members and other BlackRock groups to resolve fund accounting and other operational issues, as identified;
- Perform periodic internal reporting to other BlackRock groups (e.g. fund metrics, AUM, fee revenue, investor data);
- Lead and participate in group projects and initiatives;
- Respond to ad hoc requests from outside investors and other BlackRock groups.
- 9+ years of investment / fund accounting /public accounting (audit) work experience or equivalent, including review experience for at least a portion of that time.
- Strong leadership and management skills and ability to collaborate across many teams
- Dynamic individual with very strong communication skills, both written (presentations/policies/process documents) and verbal.
- Positive attitude with very strong problem solving skills
- Great Multi-tasking skills, great project management skills and deadline focused
- Minimum education requirement: Bachelor Degree in Accounting
- Minimum experience requirement: 10 years accounting experience (public accounting experience is a plus).
- Knowledge of technical and regulatory issues affecting the alternatives investment fund industry, including knowledge of investment company accounting/reporting, US GAAP and IFRS. (Real Estate/Infrastructure/Private Equity/Valuation experience a plus.)
- CPA candidate preferred but not required
- Standout colleague with excellent interpersonal skills including ability to collaborate with a broad network of colleagues to help resolve issues
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills - ability to interact and clearly communicate complex concepts to a wide variety of partners
- Fluency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint)
- Bi-lingual in Spanish/English strongly desired